VCC’s – Automotive Service Program – Interviews with students and instructors

VCC’s – Automotive Service Program – Interviews with students and instructors


the automotive foundation program is ten months long when students finish the program bill learns how to do basic repairs that most employers are going to require once they get into industry you know from tires right up into you know engine rebuilding it’s all going to be covered we go through every module of the car there is so suspension fuel systems electronics brake system steering and suspension systems tires and wheels and general automotive maintenance such as oil changes tire rotations basic inspections we learn everything so it’s a lot of stuff that they fit in over ten months and surprising that they can do it but you know they definitely fill in all the blanks students spend about 25% of the time in the classroom learning about theoretical material the remainder of a 75% the students are working in the shop our shop here is basically like a fully working automotive dealership we have a service counter and we work on customer vehicles here this gives students a real-world experience while they’re here that way the students are immersed in the environment before they actually go with the industry when you get to work on somebody’s car you know it increases the stakes it makes it a little more high pressure but that’s real life so you’re better suited to kind of go into the job afterwards you’re gonna be experience working with customer cars already once our students graduate here most of them are working as apprentices some are working at automotive dealerships such as GM Ford some are working for BN belli in Mercedes I like everything the instructors the the pace that it moves along with is really good it’s not too slow it’s not too fast definitely you know the fact that we are hands-on with whatever we do so we talk about stuff and then we get to actually see it and take it apart and look at it you never know what’s gonna come into the door that makes it an exciting learning experience both for the instructor and for the students and so what makes this program so much fun you


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *